RE: ocaml?? why?? (was: [Xen-devel] caml stubdom crashes)

To: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ocaml?? why?? (was: [Xen-devel] caml stubdom crashes)
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 17:40:42 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Patrick Colp <pjcolp@xxxxxxxxx>, Alex Zeffertt <Alex.Zeffertt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "George S. Coker, II" <gscoker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 17:42:58 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Besides, I wouldn't dream of hiring anyone who couldn't
> become proficient in a new programming language in a couple
> of weeks just by looking at some existing source code.

I'm just pointing out that the open source community
is a good deal dependent on developers who are less
than the creme de la creme.  There's many who you (or
I) might not hire that could make a valuable contribution
to an open source project, and might (would!) get scared
away by a completely unfamiliar language... especially
one they've previously never heard of!

> Anyhow, I think we're just a bit ahead of the general
> adoption curve on this one.

Indeed!  The following websites would imply "well ahead"
rather than "a bit ahead":

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/comp.lang-statistics/
http://www.langpop.com/

On the latter, at least ocaml has passed Lua(??) and is
catching up with assembly and smalltalk!

If ocaml (or haskell or F# or the sum of ALL functional
languages) grows exponentially, no problem.  If it turns
out to be a fad (or even just grows linearly), having
a huge base of code could be a significant albatross for
the future of Xen.  I wonder what would have happened
to Linux if Linus was an Ada fan :-)

Alright then, I'm not going to try to tilt at windmills,
at least by myself.  If nobody else is going to speak up
on the no-ocaml side, I will meekly go back to coding
in C in the hypervisor. :-)