Re: AW: [Xen-devel] The right way to get an actualxen-enabledkernel-sour

Rustedt, Florian wrote:
> Thanks again ;)
>
> Reason for 2.6.28 is, that i was told by xen-users that 2.6.27 from
> SLES is buggy and after tests, i could approve that.

I can't recommmend the 2.6.27 tree at xenbits.  That was a one-time
dump, nobody does any maintainance (fix bugs, plug security holes, ...)
there.  You also have to flip certain config options into the correct
state to get the thing even build.

> Additionally, i
> was told that 2.6.28 with xen support is stable. Unfortunately,
> nobody could tell me until now, where i could get that mysterious
> 2.6.28-xen-kernel, so that's why i am asking now here..

The place to look for suse kernels is here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/

Xen stuff for SLES is here:
http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?xenpreview

Note that SLES-10 is 2.6.16-based and SLES-11 (which might come with the
2.6.28 kernel you heared off, I don't known what inside the tarballs is)
isn't released yet.

> What is your advice concerning the stability of jeremys pv_ops
> enabled git-sources concerning stability?

x86_64 works mostly stable for me since a month, with bugs showing up
now and then though.  i386 has more problems and isn't really usable.
No production quality (yet) IMHO.

/me hopes that the majority of the dom0 bits gets merged during the
2.6.30 merge window.  Then this stuff should stabilize while rc's are
released, giving is a good 2.6.30 kernel with dom0 support.

>> I'd recommend you to use a distribution that already includes dom0
>> capable kernel out-of-the-box.

That is certainly the best option.

cheers,
  Gerd