Re: [Xen-devel] Unplugging a dom0 vcpu and domain destruction

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Unplugging a dom0 vcpu and domain destruction
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:07:07 +0000
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 01:07:34 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:in-reply-to :references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=/RZ80ixZny4mYBOyZpqIhkk0cDA8wzFISVbx6NbPWqo=; b=okZsBrGyDrVQA1RaB7S22e2FybpUvU8yFYaGI0bEQuW40dQz7MGL8TIOwKvD1s6KZr N4DldlCECX64pcudndbiE66nL/i8r4VHjAyd7heT/g3/+GBpMdZoplYr3aDrDQuHCMGg lqDqRFZJREX/9fdC/xhPjNRmAjpTnog8vlcvI=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 20/02/2009 18:59, "George Dunlap" <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> In the pvops kernels we also keep a reference to the vcpu info structure,
>>> since we place it the kernel's memory rather than keeping it in the shared
>>> info structure.  For a while that had bugs that left zombie domains lying
>>> around, but I don't think anyone backported that stuff to 2.6.18.
>>
>> Hmm, I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can work out what those
>> two pages that were being kept are.
>
> Jeremy's hunch might be worth following up -- that the offline vcpu holds
> onto an mm, which doesn't get dropped until the vcpu comes back (at which
> point unmap_vmas() would happen). It seems likely it'll be something silly
> like that.

The problem with that theory is how the offline vcpu got "hold" of the
mm in the first place.  The sequence of events to reproduce is:

* offline cpu1
* create domain
* destroy domain
 + zombie domain
* online cpu1
 + domain finally destroyed

Is there a good way to trigger a Linux stack dump from within Xen?
Even crashing dom0 would be OK if it will get a good stack dump. :-)
If I could see how we got to the final unmap_vma(), I might be able to
track things down easier...

Thanks,
 -George