Re: [Xen-devel] page ref/type count overflows

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] page ref/type count overflows
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:51:12 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:51:34 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 26/01/2009 13:33, "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As for the general issue, why fudge around it when for any modern system we
> can just fix it? By which I mean, x64 systems with CMPXCHG16 support
> (everything but ancient Opterons?) can have a full domain pointer and a long
> count_info in struct page_info, and still update both atomically.

Actually I think we could do without CX16. I'm not sure count_info and
domain need to be checked/updated at the same time. I think it would suffice
to update count_info, then check domain and undo on mismatch. That'd get rid
of the existing ugly open-coded cmpxchg8b operations too.

I think I'll look into this bit at least...

 -- Keir