Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch 2 of 2]: PV-domain SMP performance Linux-part

To: Juergen Gross <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch 2 of 2]: PV-domain SMP performance Linux-part
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:10:30 +0000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:10:38 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 19/12/2008 08:12, "Juergen Gross" <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> Ah, yes, I recall. But then why don't you use that macro? After all,
>> hypercall.h
>> must have been included if you're able to call HYPERVISOR_sched_op().
>
> This was an artefact from previous tests, sorry.
> Attached patch should be clean now.
>
> Keir, what is your main objection?
> Putting this interface into the hypervisor or only the Linux part?
> I still think this would be good to have in linux, but our BS2000 port would
> really be much easier having this interface in the hypervisor!
> So if you don't mind adding only the first patch, this would be absolutely
> okay for us.

I haven't seen any win on any real world setup. So I remain unconvinced, and
it'll need more than you alone championing the patch to get it in. There
have been no other general comments so far (Jan's have been about specific
details).

 -- Keir