Re: [Xen-devel] mmx sse emulation

To: Ashish Bijlani <ashish.bijlani@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] mmx sse emulation
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 07:34:18 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 23:34:24 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/11/08 00:34, "Ashish Bijlani" <ashish.bijlani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I want to emulate mmx/sse for hvm guests when applications inside hvm
> guests are compiled for mmx/sse but the underlying hardware doesn't
> support mmx/sse. What is the best place to do this? i'm looking at
> x86_emulate but i dunno if that is the best place to put the emulation
> layer. any suggestions?? also, currently movq emulation is present in
> x86_emulate for handling mmio. however, i realized that get_fpu fails
> if the hardware doesn't have mmx capability. is it true or am i
> missing something here?

x86_emulate() does its work by using the actual underlying processor
instructions (really it is a system emulator rather than an instruction
emulator). This wouldn't necessarily stop you adding full emulation for
certain instructions like SSE/MMX though, and it's probably the right place
to put that sort of thing.

 -- Keir