Re: [Xen-devel] [patch 0/6] xenblk: Add O_DIRECT and O_SYNC support.

To: Joe Jin <joe.jin@xxxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [patch 0/6] xenblk: Add O_DIRECT and O_SYNC support.
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 07:24:32 +0000
Cc: jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx, kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx, shinya.narahara@xxxxxxxxxx, greg.marsden@xxxxxxxxxx, wen.gang.wang@xxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 23:24:38 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 4/11/08 02:50, "Joe Jin" <joe.jin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Resend.

I never saw this patchset before!

> [patch 0/6] xenblk: Add O_DIRECT and O_SYNC support.
>
> This patchset to add O_DIRECT and O_SYNC support to xenblk driver.
>
> At present xenblk driver, a ring buffer have introduced in backend and
> frontend, the cache got better for io performance. But at some conditions,
> data need write date to disk as soon as possible, this ring buffer made
> data could not sync to disk immediately, even open file with O_DIRECT or
> O_SYNC flag. Obviously some potential risks at os for IO operation,
> so sync data to disk asap which the file open with O_DIRECT/O_SYNC
> is meaningful for xenblk driver.
>
> Please review and welcome comment.

How is this better than waiting in the domU (blkfront) domain to collect the
required asynchronous responses? Scattering changes into Linux filesystems
is a dead end unless you can get the changes accepted upstream via lkml.

 -- Keir