[Xen-devel] Re: [Patch] ioemu-remote: fix gcc4 build problem (?)

To: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [Patch] ioemu-remote: fix gcc4 build problem (?)
From: Andre Przywara <andre.przywara@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:35:27 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 04:36:03 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Jackson wrote:
Andre Przywara writes ("[Patch] ioemu-remote: fix gcc4 build problem (?)"):
although I read that the gcc4 build problem should already be fixed, I cannot ack this for me: I just did $ git clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/git-http/qemu-xen-unstable.git and "$ hg pull -u" in xen-staging and still configure stops with missing gcc3. In ioemu-remote "git log" says the latest patch was:

It's not clear to me in which directory you ran `git clone' in.
> There are two sensible ways to use the new tree:

Automatically checked out tree:
  ~:$ cd ~/work
  ~/work:$ hg clone .../xen-unstable.hg
  ~/work:$ cd xen-unstable.hg
  ~/work/xen-unstable.hg:$ make -j4
  [ build system runs hg clone ]
You mean git clone here, right?
Then if you want to update ioemu-remote:
  ~/work/xen-unstable.hg:$ cd tools/ioemu-remote
  ~/work/xen-unstable.hg/tools/ioemu-remote:$ git pull
or
  ~/work/xen-unstable.hg/tools/ioemu-remote:$ git pull http://somewhere
I tried these both version. It says I am up-to-date.
Then I just cloned the git tree externally to make sure I am not fooled by some obsolete remote path, broken updates or wrong caching etc. When doing so I assume I get the latest and greatest. But the tree is essentially the same as in tools/ioemu-remote.
What were the latest changes you submitted? What changeset should fix this?

Separate tree managed by you:
  ~:$ cd ~/work
  ~/work:$ hg clone .../xen-unstable.hg
  ~/work:$ git clone .../qemu-xen-unstable.git
  ~/work:$ cd xen-unstable.hg
~/work/xen-unstable.hg:$ CONFIG_QEMU=$HOME/work/qemu-xen-unstable make -j4 ...

Simply running
git clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/git-http/qemu-xen-unstable.git isn't really going to help, no matter where you run it. That will
create a directory qemu-xen-unstable but you also need to make sure
the build system will use that directory.
Sure. This was just a check to be sure.

Regards,
Andre.

BTW: What were the reasons to use git here? Isn't that making the whole building process more complicated (let alone forgotten updates due to a separate repository)?

--
Andre Przywara
AMD-Operating System Research Center (OSRC), Dresden, Germany