[Xen-devel] vtpm_manager can not load NVM

To: xense-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] vtpm_manager can not load NVM
From: Erdem Bayer <ebayer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:37:44 +0300
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:20:57 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

When a domain is started with option vtpm = [ 'instance=1, backend=0' ] vtpm
for the domain always starts with parameter "clear", resulting in all keystore
inaccessable because the previous SRK is lost. I could not find a way to save
the vtpm state in any way. The vtpm_manager output includes these:

TPMD[1]: tpm/tpm_startup.c:45: Info: TPM_Startup(1)
        Sending LoadNVM command
        ERROR[VTPM]: Failed to load NVM
        .INFO[VTPM]: [VTPM Listener]: VTPM Listener waiting for messages.
                Reading LoadNVM header

when I checked the code and mailing lists, this NVM is actually resides in
dom0 filesystem, namely /var/vtpm/vtpm_dm_%d.data but the vtpm_manager does
not create this when it started, nor it complains.

I am having this issue with xen versions 3.1.3-RELEASE and 3.1-testing, but
did not test with 3.2 branch.

I will also attach the vtpm_manager output.

I appologize for the cross-post.

Thank you.
Erdem Bayer