Re: [Xen-devel] shutdown question - PV vs HVM

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] shutdown question - PV vs HVM
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:42:15 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 01:38:12 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 6/10/07 09:17, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do I need to do something to shutdown_start_time to give me more time to
> do the shutdown? I can't see that in 'xenstore-ls', and the only
> reference to it is in XendDomainInfo...
>
> The only other thing I can think of is that I need to tell xend that I
> am shutting down the domain, and that writing a blank string to
> control/shutdown isn't what is required...

Xend is waiting 30 seconds for your HVM domain to complete its shutdown.
Once your domain halts, or tries to reboot, or whatever, qemu or Xen will
set its state to 'shutdown' and this is picked up by xend. That event will
stop xend's 30-second fallback timer.

If your problem is simply that clean shutdown of your HVM guest takes longer
than 30 seconds, then you need to increase SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT in
XendConstants.py. It is already increased to 5 minutes in xen-unstable and
in xen-3.1.1.

 -- Keir