Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Pass-through Interdomain Interrupts Sharing (HVM/D

To: Guy Zana <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Pass-through Interdomain Interrupts Sharing (HVM/Dom0)
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:01:42 +0100
Cc: Alex Novik <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 23:58:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 9/8/07 18:45, "Guy Zana" <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The main idea here is to inject the interrupt into Dom0 when we don't
> know what to do with it. If Dom0 takes the ownership, then let it handle
> the interrupt. If not, we inject it into the HVM. We recognize that all
> of the PT devices are not asserting the line by PLINE deassertion or by
> Dom0 taking the ownership back to it.

This needs dom0 kernel changes and does not solve the general sharing
problem (among multiple HVM domains, or among HVM domains and PV domains
other than dom0). Could you somehow track which guest is most likely to
handle the interrupt, deliver to it first, and then detect the immediate
re-interrupt if it EOIs without handling? Plus have a timeout if it does not
EOI in reasonable time?

 -- Keir