Re: [Xen-devel] 3.0.5-rc3: Creating HVM guest fails with: Cannot allocat

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 3.0.5-rc3: Creating HVM guest fails with: Cannot allocate memory
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 07:53:24 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 23:50:23 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 27/4/07 00:12, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The _constructDomain call is failing in xc.domain_create() - the code which
> deals with ballooning down Domain-0 is not even run yet - that lives in
> the _initDomain method. So HVM domain creation is failing before XenD has
> even had a chance to do ballooning. If I manually use 'xm mem-set' to
> balloon down Domain-0 ahead of time, everything works just fine.
>
> I'm at a lose to figure out how to solve this without major re-arranging
> of the order of _constructDomain & _initDomain work. Perhaps someone can
> figure out an easier fix ?

I don't think domain_create() allocates very many pages, although it's
possible it's making a default allocation of shadow memory. Assuming not, it
may be sufficient to make auto-balloon leave a bit of slack memory rather
than try to account for all available memory down to the last page. A few
pages might turn out to suffice. Does this problem occur with the very first
domain you try to create after booting the machine?

 -- Keir