Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [XEN][ACM] Allow versioning information in ACM XML p

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [XEN][ACM] Allow versioning information in ACM XML policy
From: Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:40:39 -0400
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 06:39:35 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/28/2007 09:02:47 AM:

> On 28/3/07 03:17, "Stefan Berger" <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > This patch allows version information to be embedded in the XML
> representation
> > of the ACM policy. The
> > translation tool has been adapted to parse the version found in the XML
> > representation and put it into the binary policy. Xen has been adapted
> > to remember the version information and report it when asked for the current
> > policy.
>
> Applied.
>
> Are the changes to make the structs all packed really required? We usually
> avoid gcc extensions in public header files (except in some very small
> number of cases).

The structures are all serialized by for example writing them directly into a file. With the 'packed' I want to prevent that on different architectures different binary policies are generated due to architecture-dependent padding inside the structures. With the way the structures are at the moment, there would not be any padding between the uint32_t from what I can tell after a test on x86 and powerpc, though maybe in the future. So the packed is there, but does not affect the padding at the moment.

   Stefan