RE: [Xen-devel] x86 Physical CPUs at different frequencies - timer error

To: "Langsdorf, Mark" <mark.langsdorf@xxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] x86 Physical CPUs at different frequencies - timer error messages
From: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:32:45 -0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:32:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm experimenting with getting PowerNow! running on
> SMP Opteron systems.
>
> One problem I'm having is that Xen assumes that all
> physical processors are incrementing the TSCs at
> the same rate, and complains in the timer ISR that
> time is going backward if this isn't the case:

Xen *is* able to cope with TSCs running at different frequencies. It
calibrates each CPU every few seconds on the assumption that the
frequencies are basically stable but different.

To integrate with PowerNow, after you've changed the frequency you need
to run the code to generate a new time record and propagate it to the
VCPU of the guest currently using the CPU. For the frequency field, you
are best off scaling the frequency measured in the last calibration
period rather than assuming the new target frequency is precise.

Ian