[Xen-devel] x86 Physical CPUs at different frequencies - timer error mes

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] x86 Physical CPUs at different frequencies - timer error messages
From: "Langsdorf, Mark" <mark.langsdorf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:15:56 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:17:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm experimenting with getting PowerNow! running on
SMP Opteron systems.

One problem I'm having is that Xen assumes that all
physical processors are incrementing the TSCs at
the same rate, and complains in the timer ISR that
time is going backward if this isn't the case:

"Timer ISR/1: Time went backwards: delta=BIGNUM1
delta_cpu=BIGNUM2 shadow=BIGNUM3 off=BIGNUM4
processed=BIGNUM5 cpu_processed=BIGNUM6
 0: BIGNUM5
 1: BIGNUM6"

I'm not surprised this is happening, since the TSC
values on processor 0 and processor 1 increment at
different rates and tend to have wildly differing
values.  Normally AMD strongly discourages using
TSC for time-keeping with PowerNow! enabled for
exactly this reason.

However, the worst effects of time skew that we
see on native systems is not happening on my dom0
with PowerNow!.  How much should I worry about this
and what can be done to mitigate it?

-Mark Langsdorf
AMD, Inc.