Re: [Xen-devel] Re: NUMA and SMP

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: NUMA and SMP
From: Ryan Harper <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:45:47 -0500
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tgh <tianguanhua@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:44:53 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As of Xen 3.0.4, Xen has support for detecting NUMA systems, parsing
SRAT tables which indicate how memory and cpu are split up between the
system NUMA nodes, support for allocating memory local to a particular
cpu.  To use NUMA, one must pass numa=on on the xen command line.

Xen still lacks a NUMA-aware scheduler, so one must be sure to pin vcpus
and keep your guest within a NUMA node.  This is done using the cpus=""
parameter in the guest config file.

Xen doesn't export any of the topology information is gleans from the
SRAT table at the moment.

--
Ryan Harper
IBM Corp., Austin, Tx