[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] ARP notify option

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Chris Friesen wrote:
Stephen Hemminger wrote:
 +arp_notify - BOOLEAN
 +      Define mode for notification of address and device changes.
 +      0 - (default): do nothing
 +      1 - Generate gratuitous arp replies when device is brought up
 +          or hardware address changes.

Did you consider using gratuitous arp requests instead? I remember reading about some hardware that updated its arp cache on gratuitous requests but not gratuitous replies.

You might be interested in taking a look at:

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-cheshire-ipv4-acd

There has been some follow-up discussion on this in the thread starting at:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/int-area/current/msg00611.html

In particular, you may be interested in this comment about ARP request and ARP reply for gratuitous ARP:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/int-area/current/msg00669.html