RE: [Xen-devel] Xen Scalability Testing

To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Xen Scalability Testing
From: "Carb, Brian A" <Brian.Carb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:49:45 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ak@xxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 02:05:16 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Ian,

We've been able to try the scalability test again using Win2k3 guests.
We're using the same configuration as before (16 cores, 64GB, SLES10,
HVMs on san 1-per-lun), but we rebuilt with unstable changeset 13826. We
tried the test a number of times, starting with a fresh boot of the
ES7000 Xen environment, and each time we are only able to start 116
guests before the system becomes unresponsive.

For each test we have 3 putty sessions open to the host - one running
the start script, one running 'top', and one running 'xm top'. Our
script tries to start as many guests as possible, sequentially, with a 5
second sleep between starts. 116 guest domains successfully start and
then the system becomes unresponsive - the putty sessions become
disconnected, and we can no longer ping dom0. However, the serial
console responds to the ctrl-a sequence and we are able to obtain data.

The attached files serportHVM116aInfo.txt and serportHVM116bInfo.txt
show the serial port information from 2 separate tests, obtained after
the system became unresponsive. Xen boot information is provided in
serportBoot.txt, and the text from the putty sessions (at the time they
become disconnected) is attached as puttyHVM116.txt.

bcarb