Re: [Xen-devel]building domU vm by specifying kernel?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel]building domU vm by specifying kernel?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 04:58:06 +0000
Cc: cm ko <cm83646@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 20:57:01 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

Yes, it should be fine to specify the kernel in the config file.  The kernel
is actually loaded by dom0, even if you're using pygrub (dom0 extracts it
from the guest filesystem first).

What kind of errors are you seeing?

You should be using the options kernel="path/on/dom0" and
ramdisk="path/on/dom0" in your config file.  What does it look like at the
moment.?

Cheers,
Mark

On Friday 02 February 2007 22:28, cm ko wrote:
> Hello,
> My system is based on Xen 3.0.3 and Fedora 6.  Has anyone built a domU type
> vm by specifying the kernel in the install configuration file?  So far, I
> could only find the examples of using a Fedora tool or   xenguest-install
> type tools which use bootloader instead.  I have tried to install the vm
> uisng thes tools and then later changed the vm configuration to specify the
> kernel - instead of bootloader.  However, it doesn't boot up and crashes
> all the time. I am trying to debug a new device deriver and hoping to keep
> the kernel images on the dom0 VM.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> CM

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.