RE: [Xen-devel] xc_get_pfn_list() creates broken core files

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John Levon" <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] xc_get_pfn_list() creates broken core files
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 18:53:11 -0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:53:56 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Pagetables etc. are all in 'p' address space, so there should
> be no need for p2m or m2p in that case I think
>
> In fact pagetables could be canonicalised into 'p' space for
> PV guests too (xc_linux_save has the code for this) then
> there'd be no need to dump the p2m table in the core dump at
> all. Save format and core dump format should probably be one
> and the same!

Trouble is, the PV guest hasn't done an orderly suspend, and may be
holding machine address references in registers/memory and in pagetables
that haven't been pinned yet.

The guest's core dump will already contain the p2m table, and its root
location has been registered with xen during boot, so this just needs to
be saved too.

Ian