RE: [Xen-devel] Trivial patch to fix logging level output by XendCheckpo

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Trivial patch to fix logging level output by XendCheckpoint.py
From: "Graham, Simon" <Simon.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:23:24 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:23:33 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, I didn't expect this much discussion!!! I must admit I found it
hard to grok this code initially but I think the idea of exec'ing a
separate program is a good one to avoid the chance that xend can die
(especially since you don't currently seem to be able to restart xend
without rebooting Dom0).

Anyway - even if XendCheckpoint.py called xc_linux_save/restore
directly, you'd still have to deal with getting the output to the right
place since these APIs write their debug output directly to stderr so
I've got to believe you'd still fork a child that made the call and have
the parent slurp the contents of stderr and log them so the same issue
would exist...

Simon