[Xen-devel] Re: Trivial patch to fix logging level output by XendCheckpo

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Trivial patch to fix logging level output by XendCheckpoint.py
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:34:22 -0600
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christian Limpach <Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:34:38 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 04:34:25PM -0500, Graham, Simon wrote:
Signed-off by: Simon Graham <Simon.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxx>

And even more importantly, once we get the error reporting patches integrated
into libxc, having the xc_linux_save/restore calls made by XenD directly
would ensure we get reliable error handling for save/restore operations.

It used to work that way. xc_linux_save/restore were factored out of Xend late in the 3.0 dev process. I believe the idea was that they should be executed with lower privileges (which is why they take file descriptors as command line arguments instead of just calling xc_interface_open() like you would expect).

I believe it was Christian who was driving this. Perhaps he has a few more details?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

So, is there any good reason for xc_save & xc_restore to exist as separate
processes - it just seems like a huge complication to me, increasing
fragility of the system & reducing the quality of error reporting we can
get

Regards,
Dan.