RE: [Xen-devel] [patch] Add support for barriers to blk{back, front} dri

To: "Gerd Hoffmann" <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [patch] Add support for barriers to blk{back, front} drivers.
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:46:08 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 06:47:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> With write caching disabled barriers don't make a big
> difference, it's in the noise.  Not surprising.  With write
> caching enabled barriers make things a bit slower.  But keep
> in mind that journaling filesystems can NOT work reliable
> without barriers when write caching is enabled.  The small
> performance penalty simply is the price to have to pay for
> filesystem integrity.  The other way to make sure the
> journaling works ok is to disable write caching.  As you can
> see this costs even more performance.

What's the current logic for determining whether the backend advertises
barrier support, and whether the frontend chooses to use it?

I guess the backend could always advertise it providing it did the
appropriate queue drain whenever it encoutered one if the underlying
block device didn't support barriers.

Thanks,
Ian