Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch rfc 1/3] xen arch header rework.

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch rfc 1/3] xen arch header rework.
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:54:29 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 04:54:59 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
>> Xen seems committed to using Python already (not that I am too
>> thrilled about that, but at least Python code is readable to the
>> occasional hacker), could we try to limit the amount of arcane
>> scripting languages that have to be supported when building Xen, i.e.
>> not add Perl as a build-time dependency?
>
> I'd certainly rather see Python used, unless there's a really good reason
> not to. I'm not sure if building Linux already requires Perl? It looks to me
> like it doesn't, unless you build the raid6 drivers.

I'm using perl just because perl is _the_ classic language for text
processing jobs like that one and I've already hacked up perl scripts
before python started to exist ;)

These days every programming language on earth has bindings for the PCRE
library, so switching to something else should be possible without too
much trouble.  It wouldn't be /me writing that script though.

I don't think adding perl as build dependency is a big problem, almost
everyone has it on the machine anyway.  Try "rpm -e perl" on any linux
distro and watch the error message with the long list of stuff which
depends on perl.

Wrt. readability of the scripts:  That is IMO more a matter of the
programming style than of the programming language.  Sure you can easily
write unreadable perl code, but you don't have to.  And you better
shouldn't, just in case you have to touch the scripts again one year later.

cheers,

  Gerd

--
Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>