Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Oops when loading xen_platform_pci module in HVM dom

To: Steve Dobbelstein <steved@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Oops when loading xen_platform_pci module in HVM domain on CS 11429
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:30:35 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sos22@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:41:46 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 11/9/06 3:48 pm, "Steve Dobbelstein" <steved@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is this something that should be fixed in the mainline kernel?  Basically,
> a change_page_attr() to make a page executable doesn't work.  It seems to
> me that split_large_page() in arch/x86_64/mm/pageattr.c should be changed
> to not propagate the old pgprot to the new PMD (at least not the _PAGE_NX
> bit) but rather propagate it into the new sub-PTEs that are created when
> the large PTE is split.
>
> Thoughts?

Even just access to vmalloc_exec() from modules would be nice. I really had
to hack around the fact that vmalloc_exec() and even PAGE_KERNEL_EXEC are
not exported to modules. It almost seems deliberate, except that doesn't
really make sense since it's quite easy to work/hack around.

 -- Keir