Re: [Xen-devel] BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0! on 3.0.2-2

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Luke Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0! on 3.0.2-2
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 16:46:04 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 08:46:15 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/9/06 12:16 am, "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Are you sure the problem doesn't happen with native 2.6.16?
>>
>> No.  I am sure the problem doesn't happen in native 2.4 with the RHEL3
>> patches, though.
>
> I'll wager this is a native problem. Smbfs is deprecated these days, so
> you should probably be using cifs on modern kernels -- see
> /sbin/mount.cifs

3.0.2-2 doesn't include the fix to SEDF scheduler to prevent domain0 from
taking all CPU time. Without that, domU's can be starved and hence trigger
the softlockup warning. The tip of 3.0.2 repository is a much better
prospect, having lots of other bug fixes too.

 -- Keir