Re: [Xen-devel] why is blktap statically linking it's drivers?

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] why is blktap statically linking it's drivers?
From: Julian Chesterfield <jac90@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:38:34 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sean Dague <japh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 06:40:41 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 4 Aug 2006, at 20:26, Keir Fraser wrote:

On 4/8/06 7:19 pm, "Sean Dague" <japh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It took me a bit to realize that the issue I was having with blktap
compiling in xen-unstable is that it is statically linking libcrypto and
libc into all of the executables in: xen-unstable/tools/blktap/drivers

Is there a reason for this? It means that every one of those executables ends up at > 1 MB, which seems quite excessive. It also means that you need static-devel packages on some distros, which tend to not be installed by
default.

I *think* the intention is to statically link to our own copy of libaio, but the -static flag causes us to statically link against all libraries. The correct thing might be to explicitly link in libaio.a and remove -static,
but Julian will know better than me.

Yep that's correct, we wanted to avoid libaio conflicts. I'll push an update to the Makefile today.

- Julian

 -- Keir