Re: [Xen-devel] why is blktap statically linking it's drivers?

To: Sean Dague <japh@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] why is blktap statically linking it's drivers?
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 20:26:47 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:27:13 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 4/8/06 7:19 pm, "Sean Dague" <japh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It took me a bit to realize that the issue I was having with blktap
> compiling in xen-unstable is that it is statically linking libcrypto and
> libc into all of the executables in: xen-unstable/tools/blktap/drivers
>
> Is there a reason for this?  It means that every one of those executables
> ends up at > 1 MB, which seems quite excessive.  It also means that you need
> static-devel packages on some distros, which tend to not be installed by
> default.

I *think* the intention is to statically link to our own copy of libaio, but
the -static flag causes us to statically link against all libraries. The
correct thing might be to explicitly link in libaio.a and remove -static,
but Julian will know better than me.

 -- Keir