Re: [Xen-devel] detecting paging inside of VMs

To: "Tim Wood" <twwood@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] detecting paging inside of VMs
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:35:08 +0100
Cc: Xen Devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:35:20 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 21 Jun 2006, at 16:10, Tim Wood wrote:

I'd like to be able to detect when a VM is pressed for memory without doing anything inside of the VM.

My idea is to add some code in the hypervisor that would try to detect paging in each domU, or maybe just monitor the rate at which memory pages are being requested and released.

I know that the guest OSes are responsible for managing their own page tables, but I suspect that some of this still goes through the VMM.

If you know the domU has a swap partition then you could modify blkback driver in dom0 (or pull stats out of it somehow) to detect swap activity. Dom0 seems a better probe point than Xen -- it knows about I/O and it will also be the place where you implement policy to decide who gets what memory.

 -- Keir