RE: [Xen-devel] Re: X86_emulate to be moved into qemu...

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Re: X86_emulate to be moved into qemu...
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:34:59 +0200
Cc: Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 May 2006 05:34:28 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just had a couple of thoughs for "stepwise refinement" of the
x86_emulate.

1. Add a pointer to a struct (or opaque void *) the x86_emulate_memop()
to allow us to pass extra data from HVM that can be used inside the
call-back functions when needed. For the current usage, that would be
null.

2. Add new interface functionality - add a "fetch_insn_byte" function
pointer, and use that instead of/inside the macro insn_fetch. This will
be necessary if we pass a translated CS:rIP to the QEMU version. Or if
we pass along a buffer of instruction bytes from the guest code, we'd
need to fetch from that. The current code doesn't make any difference
between reading code-bytes or any other reads of guest memory...

These two changes can be done before I start actually trying to plumb
things into the QEMU model.

Does it make sense to do it this way, and/or do you have some other
ideas?

--
Mats