[Xen-devel] interest SMBIOS on domU's

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] interest SMBIOS on domU's
From: "Andrew Ball" <anball@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 21:22:56 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 May 2006 04:36:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is anyone else interested in SMBIOS tables for domU's?  (These are the
things that dmidecode reads -- they're often used by systems
management software and occasionally used by drivers.)

I've been working on a patch for fully virtualized domU's for some
time now and am curious about who else might care about it and what
types they think make sense.

A lot of the types make very little sense, like system chassis, but
the system information one that contains the system UUID (universally
unique identifier) is crucial for supporting arbitrary OSes in HVM
domU's for some systems management software.  The idea is to correlate
domU's with dom0's by UUID's of the domU's.

I'll try to send out the patches soon.  I hope they're not too ugly to
stomach -- it's been difficult for me to make something like this
elegant.

Thanks for your help!
Andrew