RE: [Xen-devel] Regarding page table management changes from Xen v1to Xe

To: "Himanshu Raj" <rhim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Regarding page table management changes from Xen v1to Xen v2 (and v3)
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:04:03 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:04:26 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In another example, mmapped access to a file, the new
> approach will incur these two extra faults for every page
> fault required to bring a file page to page cache, right?

No, these singleton updates on the Linux demand fault path are issued
with the update_va_mapping hypercall. This is possible because the
virtual address that the pte maps is known, so its possible for Xen to
use a linear pagetable to do the update rather than creating an
on-demand mapping to the domain's pagetable page. This is an important
optimization on 32b where Xen address space is tight.

Ian