Re: [Xen-devel] Regarding page table management changes from Xen v1 to X

On 26 Apr 2006, at 18:56, Himanshu Raj wrote:

In another example, mmapped access to a file, the new approach will incur these two extra faults for every page fault required to bring a file page to page cache,
right?

All the common non-batched paths (i.e., demand faults) use update_va_mapping(), so do a single fast hypercall.

Could you tell me another example other than fork when one can use batched PTE
modifications.

fork() is the only one for us these days. All others use update_va_mapping(), act on pagetables that aren't pinned (so the guest can directly update them without faulting) or are infrequent enough we do not care.

 -- Keir