[Xen-devel] RE: PAE dom0 is broken with the default config

To: nitin.a.kamble@xxxxxxxxx, Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx, m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: PAE dom0 is broken with the default config
From: Boris Ostrovsky <bostrovsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:14:01 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 18:15:07 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I built PAE Xen with the default config, and it is not booting. Log is bellow. If I replace the linux-defconfig_xen_x86_32 file with the linux-defconfig_xen0_x86_32 before building then dom0 is able to boot and see more than 4Gig memory. This looks like a dom0 kernel config issue. Do you care PAE dom0 for 3.0.2 with the default config? Is anybody working on this?

This seems pretty unlikely to be a PAE issue -- we do quite extensive
testing.

Are you sure you have the right initrd? Is the same scsi driver being
used as in the -xen0 case?

I suspect there may indeed be some sort of problem with PAE. I have domU
RHEL4-U2
SMP 32-bit kernel that dies when it tries to set PAE bit in CR4 --- it
can't find translation for the next instruction (and for anything else, for
that matter: it keeps then getting GPFs on ignore_int's first instruction).

UP version of the same kernel and SMP versions of other kernels, such as 2.6.16,
don't have this problem.

-boris