RE: [Xen-devel] Essay on an important Xen decision (long)

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Essay on an important Xen decision (long)
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:11:48 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 04:19:22 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You capture the point there. ;-) Currently there're two solutions co-existing
in current xen-ia64: per-LP(logical processor) VHPT/simplified vTLB and per-VP
VHPT(virtual processor)/hash vTLB. The former is used by dom0/domU while the
latter for domVTI. vTLB is the pool to track guest TLB related insertion/purge
operation, and thus behave like shadow to machine TLB. Simplified vTLB means
minimal architecture requirements with 8 DTR/ITR and 1 DTC/ITC and thus with
less hit rate. Hash vTLB is a hash distributed table with collision support
with more memory required but higher hit rate. Currently it's more urgent to
merge two solutions to be general, instead of the strategy. To be per-VP or
per-LP is discussed many times before, which is actually not that obvious
without a general solution and benchmark data provided. We'll have a discussion
on this topic in tomorrow's summit.

>Had you evaluated the costs of having the guest explictly update Xen's VHPT?
>(or at least hint that an update was necessary for some reason).

To let guest explicitly update Xen's VHPT has several obvious limitations:
        - VHPT on IA64 has two format: short and long. To support different OS,
Xen has to construct a VHPT table with long format to support both from guest.
Currently linux is using short format VHPT, so it means a lot modification to
xenlinux operating xen's long format VHPT directly.
        - It also conflict with current region id virtualization policy. On
xen/ia64, region id describes one address space which is virtualized with fewer
bits to xenlinux than ones machine actually supported. If xenlinux directly
executes hash algorithm on virtualized region id, it's actually meaningless.

Thanks,
Kevin