Re: [Xen-devel] xm-test domain creation delay

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xm-test domain creation delay
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:05:36 -0600
Cc: Dan Smith <danms@xxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 03:05:53 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:

> > Right, which is why I asked if this sort of thing would be
needed in a
generic sense.
Yes, it would be nice for more general cases, but that of course means controlling the guest environment, and that would mean more interaction with distro-specific aspects than I personally would like to take on at the moment. It's not scary when we're doing it for xm-test, because we do control that environment, but doing it for general guests is more fiddly. However, I'm sure somebody somewhere will want to know when the guest is actually booted, as opposed to merely started, and writing to xenstore seems like a good way to go about it.

It's arguable that having a irtual filesystem inplemented in the kernel
for accessing xenstore would be good.

2.6.14 now has FUSE which allows for virtual filesystems to be implemented in userspace.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Ideally, it would need to support
mkdir and creating new files which is slightly tricky. Allowing
read/write of existing nodes should be straightforward building on sys
or proc.

Ian