[Xen-devel] xm-test domain creation delay

To: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] xm-test domain creation delay
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:48:23 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:48:37 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here's an idea for xm-test.  Instead of waiting a full 20 seconds for the
guest domain to come up, we could instead write to the store from inside the
guest.

The easiest way to do this would be with the command line tools xenstore-read
and xenstore-write.  If you use these tools without the -s option, this should
mean that they write using the domain's implicit root, so if you don't use a
path with a / at the front, then the path will be unique per-domain.

All we would have to do is arrange so that the last thing that the busybox
guest did when it has booted up is to write a node xm-test/booted=1 or
something, and then the xm-test application could register a watch for that
path (i.e. /local/domain/<domid>/xm-test/booted), and would then be able to
detect when the domain was ready.  This should be a lot quicker than waiting
for a full 20 seconds each time, so the test should run a lot quicker in
total.

Thoughts anyone?

Ewan.