Re: [Xen-devel] network-bridge script reworked

To: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] network-bridge script reworked
From: Kurt Garloff <garloff@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:22:20 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:10:07 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Ewan,

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 11:41:00AM +0100, Ewan Mellor wrote:
> Kurt, this line
>
>       eval `/sbin/getcfg -d /etc/sysconfig/network/ -f ifcfg- -- ${netdev}`
>
> looks a bit SuSE-specific to me.

Right, I should have removed that hunk or at least do something like
test -e /etc/SuSE-release && eval `...`
Sorry!

> It's certainly not working on my Debian system.

Networking setup scripts differ quite a lot between distributions,
unfortunately.

> What's the intention here?

It sets HWD_CONFIG_0 which is used a bit later
          if ! ifup ${HWD_CONFIG_0} ${netdev} ; then
and does make sure, ifup uses the right configuration file for your
network device. The issue is that ifup (on SUSE) does more than looking
at the MAC address to identify a network interface and locate the right
config file.

> Do you know what we can do to make this more portable?

The config file matching may not be an issue on other distros, so the
test -e solution is not that bad. If you dislike it, please let me know;
we'll carry it around as custom patch then. It would of course not help
those folks that test your upstream versions rather than our RPMs, so I
think that's the second best solution.

Best,
--
Kurt Garloff, Director SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.