Re: [Xen-devel] BUG? domu network interface configuration

To: Michal Ostrowski <mostrows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] BUG? domu network interface configuration
From: Nivedita Singhvi <nsnix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:03:29 -0700
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ted Kaczmarek <tedkaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:01:33 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Michal Ostrowski wrote:
The immediate problem is in fact that vif-bridge is being called instead of vif-route.

I'm working on something like the following to detect the script:
SCRIPT=/bin/false
if [ -r $CONFIG_FILE ]; then
    SCRIPT=$(sed -e '/^[^#]*vif-script/!d;s/^(vif-script *\([^ )]*\)).*$/\1/' \
                $CONFIG_FILE)
fi

if [ -z "`which $SCRIPT`" ] ; then
    # not in path, should probably log an error
    exit
fi

As you can see, sxp is not very script friendly.

The above isn't going to be sufficient.

Having been able to call vif-route, is just the beginning of the real
problems...

Right.

Once I'm in vif-route I need to get the IP address that I assigned to the
partition.

Would have been nice to get some head's up on the hotplug
stuff going in so we could test for various networking situations.

To get that I need to figure out the domain id. (I suppose I could guess that from the device name.)

Then I need to find the SXP config file in xenstore (and now I need a
tool to parse it and extract the "(ip a.b.c.d)" statement), but I don't
see a way of doing that because there seem to be no scripting tools to
access xenstore.

We're trying to come up with a temporary hack to work around this
right now.

Now, even if I did have such a tool, I don't see a way of going from
domain id to uuid, which is what I think I need in order to interact
with xenstore.

Can't do it this way :(.

thanks,
Nivedita