Re: [Xen-devel] BUG? domu network interface configuration

To: Michal Ostrowski <mostrows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] BUG? domu network interface configuration
From: Christian Limpach <christian.limpach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:54:18 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ted Kaczmarek <tedkaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:52:18 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/31/05, Michal Ostrowski <mostrows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm working on something like the following to detect the script:

That would be a good stop-gap...

> Having been able to call vif-route, is just the beginning of the real
> problems...
>
> Once I'm in vif-route I need to get the IP address that I assigned to the
> partition.
>
> To get that I need to figure out the domain id.  (I suppose I could guess
> that from
> the device name.)
>
> Then I need to find the SXP config file in xenstore (and now I need a
> tool to parse it and extract the "(ip a.b.c.d)" statement), but I don't
> see a way of doing that because there seem to be no scripting tools to
> access xenstore.
>
> Now, even if I did have such a tool, I don't see a way of going from
> domain id to uuid, which is what I think I need in order to interact
> with xenstore.

The solution we envision looks like this:
- xenbus adds a hotplug environment variable to its devices which
indicates the path in the store where the device configuration
information is stored
- we implement a simple tool to read/write values in the store from
the command line
- xend puts the additional device configuration information in the
store as seperate nodes
- we extend the hotplug script to read device configuration
information out of the store using the path from the environment
variable and then use this information to run the right script with
arguments

We'll also use something similar to fix file: support and use the
hotplug infrastructure to effectively move file: setup out of xend
into the backend domain.

    christian