Re: [Xen-devel] Xen / Dell 2850 PERC 4e/Di lock up

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen / Dell 2850 PERC 4e/Di lock up
From: David H <davidh.davidh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:24:38 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:23:45 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am seeing the same behavior on a similar system.  As previously
discussed, on these severs domain0 hangs under I/O load.  The results
of my testing with 2.0-testing and the latest unstable are as follows.

2.0-testing:
basic xen:              Hangs under load, never* comes back  *(waited 12 hours)
with noirqbalance:  Seems to fix the problem (network throughput ~5%
lower then with "nousb")
with nousb:            Reliably running for weeks

3.0-unstable:
basic xen:              Hangs under load
with noirqbalance:  Long delays under load but does not hang (peak
network throughput greater than 2x 2.0-testing but delays lower
average throughput)
with nousb:            Reliably running for one day (peak network
throughput greater than 2.5x 2.0-testing with average throughput
slightly greater than 2x)

I am testing by coping a 1.5GB file using scp.  This will reliably,
and quickly hang both xen versions without noirqbalance or nousb.  The
same file is being copied each time between the same two systems.  For
each test a script copies the file 10 times or untill the domain
hangs.  The systems are connected by a GigE switch.  The xen version
are from yesterdays tar balls.

This system will be available for testing for the remainder of the
week.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help
resolve this problem.

I would also like to take a moment to thank everyone involved in this
project.  Xen is truly amazing and getting better all the time.

David