Re: [Xen-devel] netif & grant tables

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] netif & grant tables
From: Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 18:12:31 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Matt Chapman <matthewc@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:11:25 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 07/02/2005 11:34:58 AM:

> > It could be done implicitly, meaning that if you give a domain a
backend
> > (netif/blkif), that privilege flag will automatically be set by XEN-D
and
> > used when creating the domain, or explicitly where one specifies the
> > flag(s) to set in the VM config file.
>
> Doing it implicitly would probably be sensible.
>
> > From what I can see this does not work anymore - I used to do that
also.
> > Passing a PCI device to a partition results in an error since the
> > xc_physdev_pci_access_modify call ends in an error.
>
> Assigning PCI devices is broken in unstable at the moment.  It'll be
coming
> back at some stage.
>
> > I am not sure how 'privilege' is defined.
>
> Very coarsely at present: IIRC right now domain who's got access to a
PCI
> device is as privileged as dom0.  This means they're allowed to map
memory of
> other domains, do dom0 ops, etc.
>
> Grant tables will enable us to deprivilege guests somewhat, then we'll
split
> privileges down into more fine-grained capabilities.

Setting the privileged bit in a user domain gets grant tables to work:
should this bit be set for those kind of domains or rather the IS_PRIV()
test be removed from the call path which basically would allow all user
domains to do mapping by default?

    Stefan