Re: [Xen-devel] domain state blocked?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domain state blocked?
From: Michael Vrable <mvrable@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:05:07 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:19:01 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 05:21:59PM -0800, Hari Kodungallur wrote:
> When I create a domain, the new domain boots up correctly. But "xm
> list" shows that the domain is in blocked state
>
> Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU  State  Time(s)  Console
> Domain-0           0      245    0  r----   4667.0
> FC1                5      255    0  -b---     51.8    9605
>
> Shouldn't it be in running state? What is the meaning of a "blocked" state?

A "blocked" domain is the equivalent of a sleeping process--it's not
currently using the CPU because it's waiting on I/O or some other event.
Unless your domains are CPU-bound, they will be in the blocked state
most of the time.

> When I try "xencons localhost 9605", it is not able to connect to the
> console. Is it because the domain is in blocked state? Or is there
> anything else that is wrong with the set up?

I usually use "xm console" instead of "xencons", and so would use "xm
console FC1".  xencons _should_ work as well, though.  Are any specific
error messages given?  That the domain is in the blocked state shouldn't
be the cause of any problems.  You're not attempting more than one
simultaneous console connection, are you?

--Michael Vrable