Re: [Xen-devel] Newbee - Xenoboot CD

To: Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Newbee - Xenoboot CD
From: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:27:55 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:32:24 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Ted,

Just to be clear -- you know the Xenoboot CD doesn't have Xen on it,
right?  It's just a piece of boot infrastructure we use for controlling
test machines.

There will be a Xen/Debian/BSD live CD available from the Xen project
site within the next few days, which does boot to Xen (but doesn't do
the boot infrastructure things that the Xenoboot does), or alternatively
Jred Rhine has made a Xen/ttylinux boot CD which is much smaller and
would be easier to download. ( http://software.wordzoo.com/xencd/ )

Tim.

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:16:39PM -0700, Ted Hilts wrote:
> The following is a request originally sent to the SuSE [SLE] list and
> explains my problem in trying to download the bz2 compressed tarball so
> I might customize it's contents for my LAN and use to make the Live CD
> "Xenoboot CD" .  In this request I ask for download help for which I am
> willing to pay.  My development LAN (16 computers) is located in my home
> in a rural area of Alberta, Canada and my only available Internect
> connectivity is slow dial up. If the download had worked it would have
> taken about 5 days.  But after 1 day the connection is lost.  Can anyone
> on [Xen-devel] suggest another way I might get this tarball or it's
> pieces in increments.  Or is anyone interested in being reimbursed for
> the effort per the  note sent to the [SLE] list?  See details in note below.
> -------------------------
>
> I am working on a SuSE focused project.
>
> First, I apologize if this request is out of order.  I am (as some of
> you already know) working on a special project and I first needed help
> on Grub which I received from various people on this list.  Thanks to
> all (too many to name here) who helped me in various ways.  Nearly every
> suggestion was helpful. I post this request on [SLE] rather than [OT]
> because I know there is a fair amount of interest on [SLE].
>
> In terms of that SuSE based project, I now need to download a 300Meg
> byte tar ball bz2 compressed file from Cambridge University and have
> been unsuccessful over my (slow) dial up line (server time out) even
> though the download utility is relentlessly persistent. I need to get
> this tarball!!!
>
> I need this tar ball for my SuSE based project.  I am trying to find
> someone (I will pay them for their effort which will involve the
> download of this bz2 file, checking data integrity by decompressing and
> untaring the tar ball without errors -- it takes about 1.8Gig of disk
> space -- and finally putting the compressed tarball onto two data CDs --
> one purely as backup, packaging and mailing the two CDs to me). Please
> NOTE: Details arranged by email and not over the list.
>
> The contents of this compressed tar ball -- once customized for my LAN
> -- will be used to make a LIVE Xen CD which I will then use to build
> vitual machines (on SuSE LINUX) which will host SuSE 9.1, 9.2, etc., as
> well as other distributions.  This Live CD besides creating and
> migrating virtual Linux installations to other machines can effectively
> do back ups. In other words, this Live CD can be used to satisfy all my
> project objectives in one form or another. I have the URLs and
> instructions for the complete process (including customization) if
> anyone else is interested in doing the same thing (Josephine?).  But
> this email is specific to down loading the tar ball for Xen Live CD
> contents.
>
> Again I wish to aplogize if this request is inappropriate but I did want
> [...]

Tim Deegan                           (My opinions, not the University's)
Systems Research Group
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory