RE: [Xen-devel] saving domains

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Ian Pratt wrote:

> I don't really buy the resource usage argument as a python interpreter
> is just over 2.5MB RSS and the daemon shouldn't be CPU intensive.

hmm.

The issue is that in a cluster, you've got to make all those python
libraries available, and almost any way you do it is a headache, when
multiplied by 1024 nodes. Maybe, however, if the design in python is
straightforward enough, a C version won't be too bad to write.

I've done an awful lot of these "I/O mux" things in C, Python, Perl, ...
while the interpretive languages always seem the best bet at first, issues
of diagnosis and fault tolerance have always led me back to C. Twisted is
not the first such framework of its kind, it won't be the last, and they
always lead to heartbreak.

Python has other problems as well. Version skew issues are awful. We had a
programming environment here for scientific users that would not behave
correctly from mac->linux version, or even mac->mac versions! Hmm, isn't
one of the arguments for Python a degree of portability?

ron