Re: [Xen-devel] how to setup NAT for domU?

> Gregor, in your xmexample script you have:
>
> vif = [ 'ip=192.168.%d.1/24' % (vmid)]

The way the default setup (xmexample) works is as follows:
in domain 0 - vif gets ip = 192.168.vmid.1
in domU - eth0 gets ip = 192.168.vmid.2
this way we can easily update the routing tables in dom0.
There can be up to 255 unprivileged domains (which is plenty).

> I have a much simpler config file, which has:
>
> vif = [ 'ip=192.168.2.1/24']

This way all the virtual interfaces in dom0 would be getting the same ip,
which will not work for more then one domU.

> ...which I tried to use but I get an error from xm create.  Looking at

What is the error? Does it happen when you are trying to set up the first
unprivileged domain or any subsequent ones. What IP address do you give to
eth0 in domU?

> create.py (xen-unstable) , I don't see a provision to parse assignment
> for ip= for vif:
>
> gopts.var('vif', val="mac=MAC,bridge=BRIDGE,script=SCRIPT,backend=DOM",

The whole 'ip=192.168.whatever.1' gets passed to vif-nat script
(/etc/xen/scripts/vif-nat) which then uses it in to bring the vif up.

> Am I missing something, or is it possible you are using this on an
> unreleased build?

That should work for both the unstable and testing trees. Maybe you have not
reinstalled the tools, and the vif-nat and network-nat scripts did not get
copied to /etc/xen/scripts? Have you modified xend-config.sxp to use the new
scripts?

Cheers
Gregor

> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Theurer
>
> Grzegorz Milos wrote:
> >I've created scripts to do that. Should they be included in the
> > repositories (Ian, Keir)?
> >Here are they again.
> >
> >(configure your xend-config.sxp to use them instead of the default ones,
> > place them at /etc/xen/scripts)
> >
> >Cheers
> >Gregor
> >
> >>hello,
> >>
> >>I want my domU to use NAT, so it can access the internet with private
> >>IP address, but dont know how to do that. I looked at the Xen user
> >>manual, but it doesnt mention the solution for this problem either.
> >>
> >>Thank you a lot,
> >>AQ

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur --- Anon