Re: [Xen-devel] Creating partitions on domain U

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Creating partitions on domain U
From: Henning Glawe <eartoaster@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:31:41 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:42:31 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 03:05:08PM +1300, Jerome Brown wrote:
> | Does a guest (domain U) have the ability to create partitions on a
> | virtual disk drive (/dev/hda1)?   For example, can I use parted/fdisk to
> | create my own partitions on a VBD from within domain U?
>
> I assume it does, though I haven't tried it. However I would say to
> export the device as the whole disk (eg /dev/hda) as opposed to a
> partition (eg /dev/hda1), as parted/fdisk are likely to complain about
> trying to partion a partion.

even that doesn't work: maybe they partition the device (after heavily
complaining about unsupportet ioctls; maybe it's the get-geometry ioctl that
isn't correctly implemented, because also "sfdisk -g /dev/hda" fails).

After partitioning, the kernel-re-read-partitiontable ioctl fails.

shutting down domU and "fdisk -lf $vbdlocation" shows it has been
partitioned.

booting the domU machine again leads to the following situation: the kernel
doesn't see any partitions.
/proc/partitions shows a strange mapping of minor 0 to /dev/hda0 instead of
/dev/hda, no minors are assigned to any partition (but once again, fdisk
/dev/hda sees the partitions).

--
c u
henning