Re: [Xen-devel] VIF setup

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 05:20:56PM +0100, Jody Belka wrote:
> Actually, if you think about it, it makes complete sense. I really can't
> imagine a switch where each port has it's own IP address. The switch itself

Yes, exactly.  Switching is at a level below IP - indeed, switches work
fine with non-IP packets.

> having an IP address on the other hand is perfectly reasonable, as in the
> case of a managed switch.

Which is, from a protocol point of view, not an address that's actually
"the switch" - it's the address of this entirely separate device that
happens to be in the same box of hardware with the switch and has some
backside connection to the switch that's entirely separate from the
network.  That the switch and the management unit may share some of the
same hardware, however intimately, is just an implementation detail. :-)

--
The reason [limited term of copyright is] important is this:
Publishers are in the business of expanding capital.