RE: [Xen-devel] Multiple priviliged domains

To: "Jacob Gorm Hansen" <jacobg@xxxxxxx>, "Mark Williamson" <maw48@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Multiple priviliged domains
From: "Neugebauer, Rolf" <rolf.neugebauer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:44:48 -0000
Cc: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John L Griffin" <jlg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:48:37 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, but in 1.3 device drivers are still in Xen. In 2.0 device drivers
are run in a guest OS (which was what the original poster was looking
for). In order to boot dom0 in this model without physical device
drivers it would need a *really big* initrd (as Mark said) because it
would need to create other VMs from it to provide dom0 with virtual
devices. I'm not sure at all if xend supports this sort of setting.

If you have a decent server class machine with multiple nics and scsi
controllers you could use some of these to get dom0 booting and then
fire off other VMs to provide isolated device services to other VMs.
That "should" be supported by xend...

rolf