[Xen-devel] Riel's xen RPMs and agpgart

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Riel's xen RPMs and agpgart
From: Gerald Britton <gbritton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:22:03 -0500
Cc: riel@xxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 05:24:25 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've finally gotten around to bringing my laptop up to something a little
more modern (FC3) which brings me within reach of trying riel's xen RPMs.

I rebuilt the fedora development xen-2-20041213 for FC3 (due to python deps)
and installed kernel-xen0-2.6.9-1.1032_FC4.  I setup grub with the following:

title Xen / Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.1032_FC4xen0)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=524288 console=vga
        module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.1032_FC4xen0 ro root=LABEL=/
        module /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.1032_FC4xen0.img

... and proceeded to reboot to try this.  Xen started the kernel and
I got as far as:

Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel 855PM Chipset.
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 440M

... Booting a normal FC3 kernel, I get this output:

Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel 855PM Chipset.
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 941M
agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xd0000000

So my suspicion is that its freezing during agp initialization.
I have had it get past this point in the past with my hand built xen0
kernels using the agp patches I helped with a few months ago.  It
looks like something similar is in the fedora xen0 kernel, and it looks
like it atleast gets past this on riel's laptop.  Since this seems to be
a hard freeze I'm not sure what the best additional information I could
provide for debugging this problem.

                                -- Gerald